Information for New Degree Students
This page contains information for new degree students, who are admitted to SeAMK for studies starting in autumn 2022.
Please note, that updates are possible. Therefore, please follow the updates of this page regularly.
Commencement of studies
The studies begin as follows:
- Bachelor of Engineering, Agri-food Engineering: 2 September 2022
- Bachelor of Engineering, Automation Engineering: 2 September 2022
- Bachelor of Business Administration, International Business: 2 September 2022
- Bachelor of Health Care, Nursing: 25 August 2022
- Master of Business Administration, International Business Management: 2 September 2022
Orientation days 5-6 September for the following bachelor programmes: Agri-food Engineering, Automation Engineering and International Business. Orientation programme also online.
Students arriving from outside Finland
Welcome to start your studies on campus!
In case it is difficult to arrive in Finland by the time studies start, we provide online studies, until you arrive on campus in these degree programmes:
- Bachelor of Engineering, Agri-food Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering, Automation Engineering
- Bachelor of Business Administration, International Business
- Master of Business Administration, International Business Management
Only studies during the first academic year (2.9.2022-31.5.2023) will be offered online.
We want to strongly emphasize that you do not travel to Finland until you have managed to confirm an apartment or other place to stay! We have ensured the possibility to start your studies in remote teaching / online, so you don’t need to travel to Seinäjoki in order to begin your studies. Remote teaching will continue as long as needed for the first academic year.
Accept the study place
To confirm the study place offered to you, you have to accept it at Studyinfo.fi -service by 15 July 2022, 15.00 (+3 GMT) at the latest. However, you can get the Early Bird scholarship only, if you accept the study place within 7 days.
Confirmation of the study place is binding and you may not alter or cancel it later. You will lose the study place if you do not accept it by the deadline.
You can confirm the study place electronically at Studyinfo.fi with the link that has been sent to your email. If you are unable to accept the study place electronically, please contact SeAMK Admission Services: admissions(at)seamk.fi.
Please note: You can accept only one study place in a degree programme starting in autumn 2022 in a university of applied sciences or a university in Finland. Read more at Studyinfo.fi on the One Study Place per Term -provision.
Tuition fee is applicable to degree students who are not citizens of countries of the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland. The tuition fee at SeAMK is 7000 € in Bachelor degree programmes and 8000 € in Master degree programmes for one academic year.
You are exempted from paying tuition fees, if you provide one of the documents listed at www.seamk.fi/tuitionfees to SeAMK Admission Services by 15 July 2022, 15.00 (UTC+3).
Early Bird scholarship
There is an Early Bird scholarship for the new students admitted in 2022. Early Bird scholarship is 30 % of the tuition fee and scholarship is available for the new admitted students, who will:
- accept the study place offered by SeAMK within 7 days of notice of admission and
- pay the tuition fee within 35 days of notice of admission and
- register as an attending student for the first academic year.
Please note, that for students admitted in Joint Application, the Early Bird scholarship is available only for students, who are accepted on 3.6.2022 at the latest.
If you are not entitled to the Early Bird scholarship, you need to pay the full tuition fee by 15 July 2022, 15.00 (+3 GMT).
Register for the academic year
When you accept the study place, you also need to register for the academic year 2022-2023 as an attending or non-attending student.
- If you are required to pay the tuition fee: Please note, that registration for attendance for the academic year is not possible before the tuition fee is paid. After the tuition fee is paid, you will be sent instructions on how to register for attendance.
- If you are not required to pay the tuition fee: Register for the academic year at the same time when accepting the study place.
If you don’t register as instructed, you will lose your right to study. If you lose your right to study, you still keep your study place. In that case you can apply for re-registration to get back your right to study. You need to pay the application processing fee 50 € (and the tuition fee if you are required to pay) when applying for re-registration.
Registering as a non-attending student
Please note that first year student can register as non-attending only on the following legal grounds:
- completion of military service or civilian service in Finland
- maternity leave, paternity leave or parental leave or
- if you are unable to begin your studies due to illness or disability.
If you register as non-attending / absent, you must prove the legal grounds for your absence. Documents proving the legal grounds for your absence must be submitted to SeAMK Admission Services using an electronic form by 15 July 2022, 15.00 (UTC+3) at the latest. The student’s own notification is not an adequate clarification. The documents must be submitted in Finnish, Swedish or English.
Documents that prove the legal grounds for your non-attendance:
- Service under the Conscription Act (1438/2007), Non-Military Service Act (1446/2007), or Act on Women’s Voluntary Military Service (194/1995): Call-up order
- Maternity, paternity or parental leave: Kela’s certificate regarding maternity, paternity or parental allowance period or, if the certificate has not yet been received, a medical certificate regarding the pregnancy. Corresponding certificates from the authorities of other countries regarding statutory parental leave.
- The student cannot begin studies due to being incapacitated by personal illness or injury: Sickness allowance decision or, if no decision exists, a medical certificate. The medical certificate must indicate that the medical condition or disability prevents the person from beginning their studies.
YTHS Healthcare Fee
Starting in 2021, students who study for a degree in a university of applied sciences will be entitled to use the services of the Finnish Student Health Service (FSHS, Finnish abbreviation YTHS). If you register as attending for the academic year 2022-2023, you must pay the healthcare fee. The fee for the autumn semester 2022 is 35.80 € and it must be paid by 30 September 2022. Read more about the healthcare fee on the website of Kela. Please note, that you still need to have a sufficient health insurance when applying for a residence permit.
NB! Updated information from Kela 29 June 2022: If you have social security coverage in another EU/EEA country (than Finland), or in Switzerland or the United Kingdom, you do not have to pay the healthcare fee. However, you can to use the FSHS’s services. Visit Kela’s website for information about how to proceed if you have social security coverage in another EU/EEA country or in Switzerland or the United Kingdom
The student apartments in the city of Seinäjoki are offered by Sevas Oy student housing-service. Fill in the online application form once you get this info to improve your chances of getting an apartment!
It is required for new students to have a personal laptop for the duration of their studies. It is recommended that the laptop has an i5 processor with at least 8 GB of RAM. Engineering-students should also have a high quality Graphics Processing Unit (GPU). The recommended operating system is Windows 10. Seinäjoki University of Applied Sciences offers an office productivity software (text editor, spreadsheet and presentation program) free of charge for the duration of studies.
Residence permit for studies for students arriving from outside European Union
If you are a citizen of a non-EU/EEA-country you will need to apply for a residence permit for studies. For the residence permit application you need to enclose the Notification of Student Selection (acceptance letter), an account of sufficient funds, an account of sufficient health insurance and a documentation of the paid tuition fee.
You can begin the student residence permit application online at Enterfinland.fi. Remember that you must personally visit a Finnish embassy or consulate as part of this process. Start your residence permit process as soon as possible, carefully following the immigration authorities’ instructions and regulations, so that you can receive your permit in good time before your studies begin!
You can find detailed information and advice on the residence permit requirements and procedures on the Finnish Immigration Service (Migri) website.
Please follow the following pages for further updates:
the Finnish Immigration Service’s Corona page
Effects of COVID-19
Welcome to study at Seinäjoki University of Applied Sciences!
Your contact person is Ms. Tiina Ojanperä, coordinator in International Education Services, email tiina.ojanpera (at) seamk.fi OR international.office (a) seamk.fi
She will help you with questions concerning Seinäjoki University of Applied Sciences, the city of Seinäjoki and Finland. Don’t hesitate to contact her.
The study counselors:
- Agri-food Engineering: Ms Sarita Ventelä, email: sarita.ventela (at) seamk.fi
- Automation Engineering: Mr Jorma Mettälä, email: jorma.mettala (at) seamk.fi
- International Business: Ms Päivi Uitti, email: paivi.uitti (at) seamk.fi
- Nursing: Ms Suzana Zegrea, email: suzana.zegrea (at) seamk.fi
- Master of Business Adm., International Business Management: Ms Essi Hauta, email: essi.hauta (at) seamk.fi
The study counselors will help you with any questions you might have concerning your studies.