After Arrival

On this page, you can find all practical information you need when you have arrived in Finland and Seinäjoki, and have started your studies at SeAMK.

Please note, that changes and updates are possible. Therefore, please follow this page regularly.

Welcome to start your studies on SeAMK Campus! 

  • Start of the studies

    Studies in Bachelor of Health, Nursing programme start on SeAMK Campus in the city of Seinäjoki on 23 of August 2024.

    Studies in Agri-food Engineering, Automation Engineering, International Business and International Business Management start on SeAMK Campus in the city of Seinäjoki on 2 September 2024.  If there is a delay in obtaining a residence permit, a student can start the studies online and continue studying online until 31 December 2024 in the below listed programmes. Please note that studies only during the first semester (2.9.-31.12.2024) will be offered online in the following degree programmes: 

    • Bachelor of Engineering, Agri-food Engineering 
    • Bachelor of Engineering, Automation Engineering 
    • Bachelor of Business Administration, International Business 
    • Master of Business Administration, International Business Management

    Studies during the spring semester 2025 will be offered only on campus. Students can participate in teaching during the spring semester 2025 only by studying on campus. 

    We want to emphasize that you do not travel to Finland until you have managed to confirm an apartment or an other place to stay. 

  • Check in to SeAMK Campus

    If you have any questions about the arrival process, like living in Seinäjoki and Finland, the Finnish culture and society,  and starting your studies at SeAMK, please contact Mr. Andres Mendez, international facilitator, andres.mendez(at)

    He will help you with questions concerning Seinäjoki University of Applied Sciences, the city of Seinäjoki and Finland. Don’t hesitate to contact him – or at least come & say hello to him when you are at the SeAMK Campus!

  • Registration of a foreigner in the Population Information System of Finland

    A foreign citizen living in Finland receives a personal identity code when he or she is registered in the Population Information System. 

    Finnish personal identity code

    In Finland, a personal identity code is used to identify persons. You will receive a personal identity code if you are registered in the Population Information System. The personal identity code is used especially in the activities and information systems of the authorities, but also in the private sector. You usually need a personal identity code to be able to live and operate in Finnish society. Even if you do not live in Finland, you may need a personal identity code to be able to take care of some matters. 

    Municipality of residence

    If you live in Finland, you can be assigned a municipality of residence in Finland on certain conditions. Your municipality of residence and the associated permanent address will also be recorded in the Population Information System. If you do not get a municipality of residence, your address will be entered in the Population Information System as a temporary address. When you have a municipality of residence, you can vote in the municipal elections of your municipality of residence and use the services that municipalities provide only to their residents. Sometimes you also need a municipality of residence to be able to use the services provided by the state authorities or to be granted financial benefits or support. The municipality of residence is always recorded by the Digital and Population Data Services Agency. SeAMK will assist you and organise visits to the registration office (DVV) upon your arrival to Seinäjoki. Read more here: Registration of a foreigner in the Population Information System. 

    Finnish identity card

    An identity card is a document that certifies your identity when you use different services. The identity card is often requested, when you open a bank account and for using online banking system. 

    The identity card is usually valid for five years at a time. 

    If you cannot or do not want to submit the application online, you can also do so at a police station. If you are not able to login to the online service, visit the Seinäjoki police station and request an appointment. 

    Please note that submitting the application online is cheaper and faster. 


    Social security

    When you move to Finland, you should apply to Kela for a Kela card. You may have a right to social benefits if you live permanently in Finland and meet the other criteria for being granted the benefits. Your right to social benefits is assessed if you apply for them. If you work in Finland but do not live permanently in Finland, you may have a right to some social benefits. More information on social security in Finland is available on the InfoFinland web page Finnish social security. 

  • Student Health Care Fee (FSHS)

    Starting in 2021, students who study for a degree in a university of applied sciences will be entitled to use the services of the Finnish Student Health Service (FSHS), Finnish abbreviation YTHS). If you register as attending for the academic year 2024-2025, you must pay the healthcare fee. The fee for the autumn semester 2024 is 36.80 € and it must be paid by 30 September 2024. Read more about the healthcare fee on the website of Kela. Please note, that you still need to have a sufficient health insurance when applying for a residence permit.  

    If you have social security coverage in another EU/EEA country (than Finland), or in Switzerland or the United Kingdom, you do not have to pay the healthcare fee. However, you can use the FSHS’s services. Visit Kela’s website for information about how to proceed if you have social security coverage in another  EU/EEA country or in Switzerland or the United Kingdom 

    Students from other EU or EEA countries will have to provide a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) when accessing FSHS (YTHS) services. The card must be obtained before coming to Finland. Further information: Students from other EU or EEA countries must provide a European Health Insurance Card starting 1.1.2023 

    Further information on the student health care & wellbeing is available on the SeAMK Intra intranet, once you have received your credentials for SeAMK’s IT-systems.

  • Leisure time activities

    There are a lot of things to see and do at your leisure time in Seinäjoki and Finland all year round!

    Finnish nature offers wonderful experiences in every season, city of Seinäjoki is known for active cultural life and big festivals, and hobby and sports clubs offer all kinds of fun things to do and opportunities to get to know the locals.

    The Student Union of the Seinäjoki University of Applied Sciences (SAMO) is an association established and run by the students. The union’s diverse objectives range from monitoring the standard of instruction and networking with the Finnish Government to organising student parties and other leisure time activities. A special social programme is available for international students organised together with the staff of International Mobility Services and the different schools of SeAMK.

    Check these websites for more information!

    Student Union SAMO »

    City of Seinäjoki »

    Visit Seinäjoki »

    Events Calendar for the region of South Ostrobothnia »

    Visit Finland »

    This is Finland »

Further information

And finally, check what you need to do at the start of your studies at SeAMK!

Things to do before starting your studies at SeAMK