Seinäjoki University of Applied Sciences is a multidisciplinary institution of higher education and an efficient actor in education and research, development and innovation (RDI) in the region of South Ostrobothnia in West Finland.
The number of full-time students is 4800 and academic and other staff members 350. Seinäjoki University of Applied Sciences has 19 Bachelor and 7 Master degree programmes. Three degree programmes are totally taught in English (International Business, Nursing and a Master's Degree in International Business Management). Also double degree programmes are available in the fields of technology and business.
Mission, Vision and Values
Seinäjoki University of Applied Sciences, SeAMK, prepares professionals of the future and produces high-level applied research to promote welfare and innovations.
International and Entrepreneurial SeAMK – Best for our Students
Values of SeAMK
- Entrepreneurial spirit
Facts about SeAMK
- 5000 students, 10 % international students
- 200 academic teaching staff
- 150 other staff members (incl. RDI and administration)
- 19 bachelor degree programmes
- 8 master degree programmes
- 3 degree programmes totally taught in English
- Double degree agreements in 9 countries
- 12 exchange programmes
- 200 partner universities in more than 50 countries in Europe, Asia, North America, South America, Africa and Australia.
- SeAMK was founded in 1992 through a merger of various institutes, each of which had a history of up to more than 100 years.
Profile Areas of SeAMK
In education and in RDI activities as well as in networks SeAMK has concentrated on the profile areas listed below. These areas of expertise are being developed based on regional and international needs and our special strengths.
- New processes for the food industry
- ICT solutions for food and agriculture
- Bioenergy solutions for farms in a low-carbon society
- Safety in the food chain
- Green care and tourism as a side activity of farms
Smart and energy efficient systems
- Increasing competitiveness, productivity and renewal in manufacturing and building industries
- Agile industry: promotion of the utilization of digital manufacturing and industrial internet
- Construction of wooden buildings and use of wood in renovation as well as digitalization of construction processes
Welfare and creativity
- Quality and well-being in working life, including management development
- Proactive and empowering services for elderly people and families
- More well-being from cultural services
- Digitalization in health care and social services
Entrepreneurship and growth
- Business trasfers
- Growth entrepreneurship
- Entrepreneurial intentions and student entrepreneurship
- Strategic business development
- Development of entrepreneurship ecosystems
SeAMK provides education aiming at high-level professional qualification in the following fields:
- Social sciences, Business and Administration
- Technology, Communication and Transport
- Natural Resources and the Environment
- Social services, Health and Sports
- Tourism, Catering and Domestic Services
Internationalization is a strategic aim of SeAMK. We have about 200 partner universities in 50 different countries all over the world. Active student and academic mobility, RDI projects and international conferences are a vital part of our international activities.
Research, Development and Innovation at SeAMK
The RDI (research, development and innovation) activities of SeAMK are focused on multidisciplinary core expertise areas, which are congruent with the strategic focal areas of the University Consortium of South Ostrobothnia. The aim of the RDI activities is to support business operations requiring high-level expertise. The volume of annual outside research financing is about 5 million euros. Every year, more than 90 people contribute to the RDI activities of SeAMK.
Quality and Audits
International Audit of the Internationalization
International team (members from USA, Finland and Sweden) conducted an audit of the internationalization efforts of the Seinäjoki UAS in 2011.
Audited by FINHEEC
The Finnish Higher Education Evaluation Council (FINHEEC) audits the quality assurance systems of the Finnish higher education institutions (HEIs). The quality assurance system of Seinäjoki UAS was audited in 2009.
Diploma Supplement Label
Seinäjoki UAS was awarded Diploma Supplement Label in 2010 and in 2013 by the European Commission. The Commission awards DS Label to HEIs that demonstrate excellence in applying the Diploma Suppelement. The DS Label is an honorary distinctions.
International ECTS Evaluation
The evaluation of the ECTS (European credit transferring and accumulation system) system of Seinäjoki UAS was successful in 2007.
Recognition by the Finnish Ministry of Education and Culture
Seinäjoki UAS was awarded the title of Center of Excellence in Regional Development in 2003 and Center of of Excellence in Internationalization in 1999, 2000 and 2002.