Bachelor Degree Programme in Nursing
The Bachelor Degree Programme in Nursing provides the means for the student to receive a Registered Nurse (RN) qualification. Registered Nurses, are nursing experts in various health care and social working environments. Their main task is to promote and maintain health, as well as to prevent illness. They care for and rehabilitate ill individuals, their close ones, families and communities.
Degree: Bachelor of Health Care
Length of studies: 210 ECTS Credits, 3,5 years
Number of study places: Joint Application 20
How to apply
Application period for studies starting in autumn 2021:
- Joint Application 7–20 January 2021
Read information about the application process and admission criteria at Studyinfo.fi.
Nursing Suits You, If You Are Interested In the Following Aspects:
- a profession as Registered Nurse (RN)
- knowing the responsibilities of RN in nursing settings
- ethicality in nursing
- supporting, helping and caring for healthy and sick human beings of all ages
- development of evidence-based nursing
- nursing in multicultural settings
- ability to work as a member of multiprofessional teams
- usage of e-health services and modern technology in nursing
- achieving good skills both in English and Finnish
The programme includes theoretical tuition, laboratory skills, simulation and supervised practical training according to EU-directives. Practical training periods can partly be conducted abroad.
Your Studies of Nursing Include the Following Competences:
- ethics and professionalism in Nursing
- leadership and entrepreneurship
- clinical nursing
- evidence-based practice and decision making
- patient education and guidance
- promotion of health and functional ability
- awareness of health care and social services
- safety and quality of health care and social services (source: Eriksson et.al. 2015, Sairaanhoitajan ammattillinen osaaminen)
How Are Your Nursing Studies Organized?
Your studies are full-time studies. The programme is taught and conducted mainly in English, but Nursing degree programme applicants are required to have basic Finnish skills (level B1). Link to the Common European Framework of reference for language. The English and Finnish skills are also tested on the entrance exam.
Finnish language will be used in practical training. The practical training is carried out in Finnish speaking organisations during the studies.
Professional literature used during the studies is mainly written in English. Learning methods depend on the topics, e.g. students practice nursing skills in laboratory and simulation settings.
The practical training periods are arranged in various nursing settings, both in Finland and abroad, for a total amount of 75 ECTS. In Finland practical training is mainly in Finnish. During the practical training, theoretical and practical knowledge in nursing is combined.
Job Opportunities for Registered Nurses in Finland
The degree programme provides excellent employment opportunities in the health care sector all around the world. In Finland, Registered Nurses work in hospitals, health centres, elderly homes, various areas of home care, rehabilitation centres, in both the public and private sectors, in the voluntary sector, as well as entrepreneurs.
In Finland, the Social and Health Care Reform requires the ability and skills to function in multiprofessional working contexts.
(This webpage contains videos published before 23.9.2020 that are not covered by the Digital Services Act. These videos may be in an inaccessible format without subtitles and possible audio equivalents.)