Bachelor Degree Programme in Nursing
The Bachelor Degree Programme in Nursing will qualify the student as a Registered Nurse (RN). The programme trains Registered Nurses, who are nursing experts in various health care and social working environments. Their main task is to promote and maintain health, as well as to prevent illness. They care for and rehabilitate ill individuals, their close ones, families and communities.
DEGREE: Bachelor of Health Care
LENGTH OF STUDIES: 210 ECTS Credits, 3,5 years
NUMBER OF STUDY PLACES: 25
APPLICATION PERIOD for studies starting in autumn 2019:
- Joint Application 9 – 23 January 2019 (entrance exams outside Finland in March 2019 and in Finland on 9 April 2019) and
- Joint Application 20 March – 3 April 2019 (entrance exams only in Finland on 9 April 2019)
Read about the student admission by following the link below. Choose “Application process”.
Nursing Suits You, If You Are Interested In the Following Aspects:
- a profession as Registered Nurse (RN)
- knowing the responsibilities of RN in nursing settings
- ethicality in nursing
- supporting, helping and caring for healthy and sick human beings of all ages
- development of evidence-based nursing
- nursing in multicultural settings
- ability to work as a member of multiprofessional teams
- usage of e-health services and modern technology in nursing
- achieving good skills both in English and Finnish
The programme includes theoretical tuition, laboratory skills, simulation and supervised practical training according to EU-directives. Practical training periods can partly be conducted abroad.
Your Studies of Nursing Include the Following Competences:
- ethics and professionalism in Nursing
- leadership and entrepreneurship
- clinical nursing
- evidence-based practice and decision making
- patient education and guidance
- promotion of health and functional ability
- awareness of health care and social services
- safety and quality of health care and social services (source: Eriksson et.al. 2015, Sairaanhoitajan ammattillinen osaaminen)
How Are Your Nursing Studies Organized?
Your studies are full-time studies. The programme is taught and conducted mainly in English. However, it also includes studies in Finnish so that students will be able to use the Finnish language in practical training. The practical training is carried out in Finnish speaking organisations during the studies.
Professional literature used during the studies is mainly written in English. Learning methods depend on the topics, e.g. students practice nursing skills in laboratory and simulation settings.
The practical training periods are arranged in various nursing settings, both in Finland and abroad, for a total amount of 75 ECTS. During the practical training, theoretical and practical knowledge in nursing is combined.
Job Opportunities for Registered Nurses in Finland
The degree programme provides excellent employment opportunities in the health care sector all around the world. In Finland, Registered Nurses work in hospitals, health centres, elderly homes, various areas of home care, rehabilitation centres, in both the public and private sectors, in the voluntary sector, as well as entrepreneurs.
In Finland, the Social and Health Care Reform requires the ability and skills to function in multiprofessional working contexts.
How to Apply to Degree Programme in Nursing?
For studies starting in autumn 2019:
- Joint Application 9 – 23 January 2019
- Entrance examinations outside Finland in March 2019 and in Finland on 9 April 2019
- Joint Application 20 March – 3 April 2019
- Entrance examinations only in Finland on 9 April 2019
For more information about application process, please see: instructions at studyinfo.fi. Choose “Application process”.